We at Diamond Self Storage have learned much about helping people move out and transfer supplies safely. It might seem strange, then, that our motto is very simple – “Pack carefully and think ahead.” You can make your storage experience less of a hassle too, by following 12 guidelines:
- Make sure most of your moving boxes are the same size. This saves space and makes stacking easier.
- Place items in moving boxes so that they’re filled completely. No one wants storage containers to start crumpling!
- Take old newspapers or bubble wrap to guard glassware against jostling.
- Don’t use plastic bags, especially for water sensitive items. They can gather moisture.
- Balance the weight of your moving boxes with a mix of heavy and lighter items so that moving is easier.
- Create criss-crosses with masking tape over the front of glass-covered art and mirrors to protect them.
- Don’t let mirrors and art work lay flat; save space and guard them against scratches by placing them upright.
- Even if you’re only using temporary storage, disassemble big furniture like tables and bed frames so that you can reduce the space they use.
- An important but sometimes overlooked tip—make sure to label all of your moving boxes.
- Choose a preventative treatment to apply to leather, metal and wood items to protect them from wear during shipping and storage.
- Keep your supplies in the right climate through temperature controlled storage.
- Cramming your rental storage full of items may be tempting, but make sure it’s still large enough for you to walk through!
If you’d like to receive further help and storage tips, please contact us to speak with our self storage facility managers. We’re here to support you. Our managers can also help you with purchasing moving and shipping supplies like boxes, tape and more.
5′ x 5′
Small furniture storage like drawers, twin or queen mattress set, boxes, chairs, cabinet, and office furniture
5′ x 10′
Can store furnishings from a one-bedroom apartment or studio, such as a mattress set, sofa, dining room supplies and moving boxes
5' x 15'
Furniture storage from a one-bedroom apartment including deck items, washer-dryer, desk and boxes
10′ x 10′
Stores one or two-bedroom’s worth of furniture, such as washer-dryer, refrigerator, patio furniture and many boxes
10′ x 15′
Contains items from two or three-bedroom home or apartment, including appliances, many boxes, desk, furniture and patio supplies
10′ x 20′
Fits furnishings from a three or four-bedroom apartment or house, including patio and home furniture, appliances, many moving boxes, desk and extras
10′ x 25′
Furnishings from a three or four-bedroom home and apartment, such as appliances, garage extras, furniture, smaller vehicles like motorcycles and miscellaneous supplies
10′ x 30′
Belongings from a four or five-bedroom home: appliances, patio furniture, garage extras, vehicles, desk, office furniture, boxes and more
*List sizes are approximate. The unit size does not refer to clear usable space or net interior. Please view your unit in person to ensure the storage space meets your needs.
**Amount will vary based on the size of your belongings.